Author Topic: Archivist information from our FAVORITE PAIN  (Read 40406 times)

MACTAVISH

Archivist information from our FAVORITE PAIN
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »
 A BIG HI! GUESS WHO??CLUES? MEAN/ ARGUMENTATIVE/ HUMOUROUS/ IN SITU/PEDANTIC/ FLIRT. IT IS I; STEVIE MACTAVISH

HERES A COUPLE OF POINTS I WANT TO MAKE(OR IS THAT SUGGEST NOW IM A HONOURY MEMBER- BEST BEHAVIOUR ETC)
1.  I THINK YOU SHOULD SEEK TO  OFFICIALLY CLAIM THE THOMPSON TARTANS. THEY ARE CALLED THOMPSON AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY THAT CLAN. ANYONE ELSE CLAIMING THEM SHOULD BE PENALISED. YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. IF THEY CAN DO IT.........
2. IN MY YEARS OF RESEARCH I ONCE CAME ACROSS THE THOMPSON CREST/ARMS. I ONCE BROOCHED THE SUBJECT AND ERNIE RESPONDED A WEE BIT. I CANNOT BE MORE SPECIFIC AS TO WHERE I CAME ACROSS IT BUT FEEL IT WAS WHILST RESEARCHING CAMPBELL THREADS, BUT DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT. THE ARMS HAD 3 MAGPIES IN A SHIELD WITH PLUMAGE. I FEEL THE THREAD WAS THAT THE CAMPBELL ARE LINKED TO MAGPIES ...........

Barbara

Re: Archivist information from our FAVORITE PAIN
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:04:12 PM »
Hello and welcome our very own trouble maker!   ;D  I say that with great fondness.  :-*  Great to have you here MacTavish!  I like your suggestions.

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Graham Thompson

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:16:23 PM »
Welcome. I also agree. Punish everyone everyone else claiming to be a Thom(p)son when there not.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »
A BIG HI! GUESS WHO??CLUES? MEAN/ ARGUMENTATIVE/ HUMOUROUS/ IN SITU/PEDANTIC/ FLIRT. IT IS I; STEVIE MACTAVISH

HERES A COUPLE OF POINTS I WANT TO MAKE(OR IS THAT SUGGEST NOW IM A HONOURY MEMBER- BEST BEHAVIOUR ETC)
1.  I THINK YOU SHOULD SEEK TO  OFFICIALLY CLAIM THE THOMPSON TARTANS. THEY ARE CALLED THOMPSON AND SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY THAT CLAN. ANYONE ELSE CLAIMING THEM SHOULD BE PENALISED. YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. IF THEY CAN DO IT.........
2. IN MY YEARS OF RESEARCH I ONCE CAME ACROSS THE THOMPSON CREST/ARMS. I ONCE BROOCHED THE SUBJECT AND ERNIE RESPONDED A WEE BIT. I CANNOT BE MORE SPECIFIC AS TO WHERE I CAME ACROSS IT BUT FEEL IT WAS WHILST RESEARCHING CAMPBELL THREADS, BUT DONT QUOTE ME ON THAT. THE ARMS HAD 3 MAGPIES IN A SHIELD WITH PLUMAGE. I FEEL THE THREAD WAS THAT THE CAMPBELL ARE LINKED TO MAGPIES ...........

Stevie, have you looked on the last page of Arms on the home page of this forum?  William David Cargill Thompson has arms with magpies and stags head.  I thought the Campbell Arms were associated with the wild boar?  I don't know all I need to know about this stuff.   ;D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

MACTAVISH

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:53:54 AM »
 im not associating the thompsons with the campbells. sorry if i gave that impression. no, it was while i was looking at campbell links that i came accross it in another category- not campbell. it was definate a crest with 3 magpies , i logged it because of my fascination with that bird. it wasnt a small family/ group crest.it was THE  thompson clan crest. i seem to recall maybe a green shield with 3 magpies- 2 at the top one at bottom. lots of plumes and a helmet above and around.
 i dont want to offend or labour a point but the thompsons were great rievers-thieves and magpies are great thieves, especially anything shiny. im sorry i didnt look into it properly but i confess that ive come across so many links and claims re your family that i probably discarded it as just another one....but in retrospect........

Barbara

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »
Wish you could run across that again, MacT.  Were the birds magpies or martins?  A martin in Heraldry is the cadency mark of a fourth son as I understand from a book one of my relatives wrote about our family.  From his research our family descended from King Malcolm IV who gave his sister or stepsister 15,000 acres as a dowry when she married Duncan, Earl of Fife in 1160 AD.  Their descendants changed their name and their Arms were found as belonging only to that name in the Arms College, London because of all the records stolen from Scotland by Cromwell.  >:(  A lot of our lines papers were found in England and France.  The Arms were a golden crown, signifying relationship to a Monarch, supporting a shock of grain and a martin perched atop the grain.  They are not found at the office of Lord Lyon because of Cromwell  >:( but are found in England as I mentioned before.  The Dowry lands you would know today as Easter Cash and Wester Cash in Fife.  Wish I knew as much about my Thomas and Thomason ancestors.   :-\

Friends and family that's something to take into consideration while researching, your family papers may be found in England or France even though they originated in Scotland.

By the way MacT what do the magpies signify?  I know some of my ancestors were not nice people.  ;D 

Barbara

MACTAVISH

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
IM NOT SURE WHAT THEY MEAN IN HERALDIC TERMS; PROBABLY SOMETHING QUITE NOBLE. IN GENERAL TERMS RE SCOTLAND THEY SIGNIFY THEIVES AND IMPENDING DOOM!
 IM GOING TO INVERARAY IN APRIL, I'LL SEE IF ICAN RETRACE MY SEARCH.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 05:55:31 AM »
I THINK THE EPICENTRE,CORE, FOCAL POINT OF THE THOM(P)SONS IS THE MYSTICAL PLACE=BERWICK ON TWEED(FAVOURITE OF LATE QUEEN MOTHER). ACCORDING TO ALL IVE READ, THIS IS THE BORDER AREA THAT THEY COME FROM. AT LEAST HIS WAS THE PLACE THAT MANY WERE JUDGED AND PUNISHED; SO THEY MUST HAVE COME FROM THAT LOCALE.
I THINK THE NAME PROBLEM-THOMSON/THOMPSON- ORIGINATES THERE.YOU SEE, THROUGH HISTORY, BERWICK HAS BEEN IN SCOTLAND THEN ENGLAND THEN SCOTLAND THEN ENGLAND AND AT THE MOMENT, SCOTLAND AGAIN. THE BOUNDERIES HAVE CHANGED SO MANY TIMES!AT THIS TIME YOU CAN STAND ON THE NORTH BANK OF THE TWEED AND BE IN SCOTLAND OR SOUTH BANK AND BE IN ENGLAND.
 I SUGGEST THAT OCCASSIONALLY, WHEN THE TOWNS BEEN ENGLISH THE PEOPLE HAVE COME UNDER ENGLISH GOVERNMENT AND THE NAMES HAVE BEEN RECORDED BY THEIR WAY. THEN WHEN IN SCOTLAND- THE SCOTS WAY.
ANOTHER POINT I WANT TO MAKE IS THAT SOMETIME PRIOR TO 1700, A GROUP FROM THAT EGION TRAVELLED NORTH,MAYBE TO ESCAPE PROSECUTION FOR A DEMEANOUR,AND SETTLED AS A SEPT OF THE MACTAVISH. THAT THEY WERE THERE IS IREFUTABLE AND IT WAS AS A SEPT NOT A NAME CHANGE. THIS WOULD ANSWER THE UNSURE TENATIVE LINK TO THE MACTAVISH.
SORRY IF IM RAMBLING.......I CAN DISCUSS THIS TOPIC MORE?

MACTAVISH

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
CAN I JUST SAY ONE THING ON AN UNRELATED TOPIC= DEMI MOORE RECENTLY MADE A FILM-NOW SHOWING ON UK TV- CALLED 'HALF LIGHT' WHERE SHE FALLS IN LOVE WITH A GHOST CALLED ANGUS McCULLOGH IN A LIGHTHOUSE IN SCOTLAND. I WAS NOT THE VOICEOVER. I'VE HAD 2 PHONECALLS FROM OLD FRIENDS/ COMMENTS IN POLITE COMPANY AND MY WIFE HAS SAID AS MUCH.......BUT THE BEST WAS MY WEE 2 YEAR OLD SON LOOKING AT THE TV AND SAYING 'DA DA'.
 BY THE WAY THE GHOST GETS TO KNOW DEMI VERY WELL SHES A WEE BIT NUMB FROM COLOGEN OR SURGERY  BUT NEVERTHELESS, IF THEYD USED MY VOICE I WOULD HAVE INSISTED ON............ BUT GIVE ME SANDRA BULLOCK ANYTIME

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »
SORRY IF IM RAMBLING.......I CAN DISCUSS THIS TOPIC MORE?

As far as I'm concerned I would welcome any and all discussion/education on the topic, MacT.  We need the good, the bad and the ugly to help us in our quest and to make informed decisions.

I also like Sandra Bullock, think she's a fine actress and wish she did more movies.

Barbara

Booner

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »
Keep on talking MACTAVISH.  You can be as big a pain as you want to be. You're amoung family.

Big T
aka Booner

MACTAVISH

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE CHAPS.......

Booner

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
MACTAVISH,

Since you're "in situ" I have a question for you.  In general, would a family that can trace it's ancestors back to a border reiver family be held with a certain amount of disdain by a highlander family today?

You see, having done a little studying of the Reiver period, if my family originated there, and took part in it, I would take a certain amount of pride in that fact.  They would have had to have been pretty tough to have survived it, no matter what they did.

Regards,
Booner

p.s.
Thanks to you and Cathy for joining us.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:11:48 AM »
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION AS BEST ICAN. THE SCOTS CAN BE DIVIDED INTO 2 PEOPLES HIGHLANDERS AND NOT HIGHLANDERS. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN CULTURE AND HISTORY.EVEN TODAY THE HIGHLANDERS CONSIDER THEMSELVES TRUE SCOTS AND THE NON HIGHLANDERS TOO INFLUENCED BY CITYLIFE/ ENGLISH/MONEY ETC.YET THEY HAVE A COMMON ENEMY- THE ENGLISH . HOWDO HIGHLANDERS FEEL ABOUT REIVERS OF OLD? WELL TIME CAN CHANGE FACTS AND NOWADAYS ITS BECOME THAT THE REIVERS ONLY STOLE FROM THE ENGLISH(NOT TRUE) AND THATS VERY COMMENDABLE. A HIGHLANDER WOULD CONSIDER THE REIVER AS A LIKABLE SCOUNDREL,A THORN IN THE ENGLISH SIDE.
NB . EVEN IN THE ARMY THERE ARE SERIOUS FIGHTS BETWIXT HIGHLAND AND NON HIGHLAND, THE HIGHLANDER WILL ALWAYS VOICE THAT A GLASGOW OR EDINBURGH PERSON IS NOT A TRUE SCOT!HOPE THAT ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS. HAVE YOU EVER READ ANY BOOKS BY JOHN PREEBLES?

Booner

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
Mactavish,
 Sorry to say I have not. But a did a google search and beleive he was a Scotish historian?  The was also a John Preebles who was in the Black Watch during the American Revolution, but I don't think you ment him.

Regards,
Booner