Author Topic: Anyone tried One Great Family?  (Read 17706 times)

uneven

• where you're from depends on when you stop looking
    • Thompson Hunt
Anyone tried One Great Family?
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:30:18 PM »
I tried them out for the 7 day trial. It took all night for my gedcom to load, then they informed me they added 100,000 people to my tree. When I got the results I tooled around in the online tree builder (because their app only works for windows and I'm on a mac I can only use the online version) but I couldn't find any of these new people. All the people I am struggling with are still dead ends.

So I clicked a link to look at the laundry list and saw listings for ??? and ?? and 64 and Abraham listed as 1546BC and Aaron (born in Egypt wandered in the desert for 40 years with his brother) and a great host of others.

Barring all that nonsense I thought maybe there would be some Thompson leads. And there were. They could link me up with several Thompsons and Thomsons through my Seelyes and Cooleys and Prices out to my 30th great grandfathers. Unfortunately no Thompsons actually connect to my Thompsons.

Has anyone else tried this thing out and had any success?
Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

Mary

• Administrator
Re: Anyone tried One Great Family?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
I tried with little or no success. They said I had a 'non-existent' tree! Well, heck - I knew THAT!  :-\   Then, in a day or so they said we had hundreds and hundreds of family members and went all the way back to 'King' McAlpin. I DON'T THINK SO.  I've run into a number of people who have, oddly enough, the same story - back to the kings and queens of Scotland/England.

I had actually joined - not the 7 day free one. Canceled.

Haven't seen anyone on the forum lately --- I'm tied up with my husband out of town and me handling the chores AND the local flooding problems. I can get OFF my mountain, but then I have trouble getting anywhere from there!

Let me know if you find anything usable on One Great Family. I think it's One Great Hoax, frankly. But.......maybe they do flounder on some valid lines sometimes.........?

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:30:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about the flooding. We've been waiting for that here. So far, so good.

The cancellation process was harder than I expected. Ancestry is actually pretty cool about canceling and signing up again. One Great Family made me handle the transaction through email. Frightening when you have to give credit card numbers to sign up.

mike
Mike Thompson from Michigan..then Indiana..then Pennsylvania and further...probably somewhere there are sheep. Call me Legion for I am many.

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
Oh..........I thought WE were the One Great Family.  ;)

I have never tried it. 
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

uneven

• Thompson Hunt
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »
 :D Definitely great!

Like a great herd of wildebeests. You can see the migration path from space...it's just hard to pick one out from the rest of the herd. 

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
Oh..........I thought WE were the One Great Family.  ;)

I have never tried it. 

Well, we're working on it!  It would help if more people would send in their genealogy information to Cathy so she could include it when she updates our Rootsweb database. Here email is cmctavish@zimbrick.com (hint).

I love your sense of humor  ;D

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
I tried One Great Family for a year and they also took me back to King MacAlpin and beyond!  From one of my distant cousins who did make many trips to Scotland researching, that line does goes back to King MacAlpin and the Dalriadans.  He found some of our Scottish ancestor's history in Paris and London.  I think that stemmed from Cromwell taking all the records he could from Scotland, it's been so long since I've read the history but many hogshead of Scottish records were lost at sea.  The Thompson's might not be so elusive if not for Cromwell!   >:(

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:59:24 PM »
I don't want to be traced.  Must be the Reiver in me!  ;D
DENY US NOT

Booner

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 11:05:04 PM »
Parker wrote;
"I don't want to be traced.  Must be the Reiver in me!"

plus it would blow your witness protection program

Booner

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:52 PM »
Ha, ha- Booner.  Witness protection wouldn't have worked for you last year- wearing your Grand Poobah hat and all.   :-\
DENY US NOT

Booner

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
The hat will be passed on at Estes this year.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Booner

Barbara

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
I forgot to ask, who is the Grand Poobah now?   ;D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain