Author Topic: mtDNA.......what one should I choose?  (Read 11093 times)

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
mtDNA.......what one should I choose?
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:11 AM »
Good Morning,

I've been checking into mtDNA for women.  There are several kinds to choose from. 

mtDNAplus is the basic for $159.
mtFullSequence for $299.  These two are for GENEALOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY.

Family Finder for $289 and it's for CLOSE GENEALOGY.

Then, you can have all of the above for $438 to $559. 

X-STR Markers Panel 1 and 2  for SIBLINGSHIP.  $161

I would love to hear from anyone who has had their DNA tested.  Any tips?

Thanks, Barb 
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
Re: mtDNA.......what one should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »
Hi Barb
  First, I have to confess that I have no expertise on mtDNA. I used the Family Tree DNA Thompson project and was very pleased with all aspects of their program. My sister and I jointly bought the 67 marker test, and had the results within 2 weeks. I also authorized the release of my contact information to close matches. This is necessary if you want to pursue possible family links. In fact I found 4 possible links. The down side was that we were unable to identify a common ancestor. One of the links used the Ancestry(sp) system. It requires that close matches have to use care in that the alleles are not in the same sequence as used by the Family Tree Lab.
   Whichever program you decide upon I suggest you get at least 37 markers. Then if you find an exact match 37/37 you can upgrade to 67/67 for 90% probability that the Most Recent Common Ancestor (MRCA) was no longer than 5 generations ago. The mutation rates for the first 37 makers is known and the next 30 are under study. When complete we will be able to narrow the probability even closer.
  I know most of this is of no help in answering you question of which is best.
Tom

Dusevoir

• Core
  • Me
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »
Thanks Tom.  It's nice to know what other people have experienced.  I think I am only able to do the mtDNA.  I've been looking it up on the internet and trying to figure out which one to choose and what it will tell me. 

Thanks again,
Barb
Old Genealogists never die - they just lose their census.

Booner

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Barb,

Did you ever do your DNA?

Is there a male relative that can do give the DNA sample.  This would be more relevent in your search for your ancestors.

All the best
Booner 

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:23:22 AM »
Frankly this DNA stuff confuses me.  I had my brother do it, and I can make no sense of it.  Is there somewhere that you can learn about it in a "grade school" sort of fashion?

Cathy

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Hi Cathy
   When it comes to grade school stuff - I'm your man. Tow years in Kindergarden didn't count for nothing.
Your numbers correlate to: DNA Y- Chromosome Segment (DYS) this is the top number.Below this number is: Allele One of the different forms of a gene that can exist at a single locus.Mutations of an Allele occur very slowly (a man and his great grandfather should have the same Allele.
  Another factor is the Haplotype: i.e. branches of the human genetic tree. (over thousands of years) show the migrations of humans. R1b1b2 found in Scotland and Britain.
   A marker is an allele number on a single DYS ( 393DYS can have 13, 14, etc.) If two men have a perfect match of 12 for 12 markers (entry level) that means you have a shared common male ancestor. 11 out of 12 means possible related, 10 out of 12 means probably not related.
 Next level is 25 markers. 25/25 and the same surname show Related, and 24/25 also show related.23/25 show probably related.
 Nest higher level of accuracy is 37 Markers. 37out of 37 matches means you share an extremely close common ancestor. 50% of the time within 5 generations (30 years to a generation) A 90% probably within 16 generations. A 36/37 match shows tightly related ancestors.
 A67/67 usually means a common family link (brothers, uncles,or cousins) in 5 generations.
 For more information consult "Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation"
A final note. In my Profile R1b1b2 I have a 36/37 match with Jarrett Thompson b.1841 TN. and a 35/37 match with James Steele Thompson b1780 NC.and 36/37 match with Thomas Thompson b 1753 Pelham MA.
Hope this helps.
Tom