Author Topic: Scotch  (Read 34886 times)

Ernest Thompson

• Core
Re: Scotch
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »
Thanks mate. I'm on my way to the pub and I'll let you know what my taste buds reaction is.

Ern

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
Stevie, thank you so musch.
Glenmorangie could only be made in the "Valley of Tranquility".
The rest of you Clansmen should try it and at the next meeting a vote should be taken to class GLENMORANGIE as the official repast of the Clan Thompson.
Believe me guys, if they had this stuff at Gatlinburg it certainly would have been worth getting stuck in the lift.
HERES LOOKING UP YA KILT.

MACTAVISH

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:26:55 AM »
PLEASED YOU LIKE IT ERNIE, I KNEW YOU WOULD! YOU ANTIPIDEANS KNOW ABOUT GOOD BEER BUT IM PLEASED TO ADVISE YOUON WHISKY. I HAVE TASTED MOST WHISKYS AS A SQUADDIE AND HAVE PERFECTED THE ART .......GLENMORANGIE IS OUR NECTAR! GOOD HEALTH!

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 06:17:46 PM »
This is one for the experts.
The attached photo shows a label from a bottle of Scotch Whisky the likes of which I have not seen before.
At $25 a bottle it's taste is relevant to it's cost and was acquired from a lonely bush pub in outback Quensland.
The most interesting thing is the badge at the top of the label and maybe Stevie can answer this.
Was there ever a  McTavish known as the Black Scot?
If there wasn't then there is now!!

Hope y'all enjoy.

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 06:19:50 PM »
Sorry! If you click on the photo it will enlarge and you will see what I mean about the badge at the top.

Regards
Ern

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 09:26:08 PM »
That's interesting Ern, I can see the name MacTavish but can't make out the rest of it.

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Ernest Thompson

• Core
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:46 PM »
For those who can't enlarge the photo, the badge at the top of the label states
"The House of McTavish".

Ern

Moira

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »
Hi all -

Found this info online:  Media release: Minister for Primary Industries, Minister for Energy, Minister for Mineral Resources, Minister for State Development
Media release: Wednesday 4 July 2007  New South Wales http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/mr-04-07-07-liquor-wholesaler-fined-bogus-booze.asp

Liquor wholesaler fined for bogus booze scam

A liquor wholesaler has been ordered to pay $110,000 in the Supreme Court for selling fake Scotch whisky with a lower alcohol content than real Scotch, Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said today.

Fernbrew Pty Ltd supplies liquor products to a number of retailers across NSW, including to D’Aquino Bros Pty Ltd retail outlet in Orange.

Mr Macdonald said the NSW Food Authority seized 294 bottles of bogus whisky labelled as “Old McTavish Scotch Whisky” from the Orange store.

“The State Government will not tolerate these or any other type of rip-offs where consumers are cheated out of their hard-earned money,” Mr Macdonald said.

“It is also unfair to other businesses. “Firstly, Scotch whisky must have a minimum of 40 % alcohol by volume – this particular whisky being sold by Fernbrew only had 38.6 %.

“Secondly, under labelling laws, whisky sold as “Scotch whisky” must be produced in Scotland, whereas this whisky by Fernbrew was produced by an unknown manufacturer.”

Fernbrew, trading as D’Aquino Bond Wholesalers, was ordered to pay a $30,000 fine and $80,000 in costs, after the proprietors pleaded guilty to selling bogus Scotch liquor.

Mr Macdonald said the Food Authority first began its investigations in May 2004, following complaints from the Liquor Merchants’ Association and the Scotch Whisky Association.

“Any retailer who thinks they can get away with selling bogus booze like this is on notice that the Iemma Government will do everything in its power to protect consumers in NSW,” he said.

“Scotch whisky often sells for a premium and consumers have a right to know that they’re getting what they are paying for.”

Graham Thompson

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »
Thats funny.
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:37:34 PM »
  After reading all the expert remarks posted about which is the best whiskey.  Of course you also confirmed my thoughts that anything made by the House of MacTavish had to be the absolute bottom of the scale.  I stopped by the local cork and bottle to check out this "Glenmorangie" but they didn't have any and furthermore never had carried it.  The closest thing I could find to any of your recommended labels was a single bottle of "Jamiessons" I am sorry to report that I didn't even try it.  Wasn't sure I could finish a bottle; after all I still have a half full bottle of "Old Overholt" that I bought back in 1965 when I finished Flight school.  Maybe someday when we all get together You will bring your bottle of Glenmorangie and I will bring my old bottle of Ole Overholt and we will share a shot together.  I am afraid I will look more toward to the getting together than to the hosting a shot. 
   Just as a passing thought.  At Old Cheeef's memorial service I was given a bottle of "fine" Dutch Whiskey by a member of the darkside.  After the AGM I thought it would be fitting if we used it for a toast in memory of his passing.  If my memory is right no one got more than their lips wet before they began to cough and sputter, it was so bad it became a standing joke.  Perhaps the same distilery made both Black Scot and the dutch whiskey??
Tom

Paula Cash Womack

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Well Tom,

When you come to Knoxville, stop by at the Cedar Bluff exit, at McScrooge's.  They have Glenmorangie, and a lot of the finer (and not so finer) scotches. Jim does like the Glenmorangie, but he has also enjoyed various other single malts I have picked out for him.  Give us  call when you get that close.  It's right down the street from us.

Paula

Marlin

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone is following this thread anymore, but this is a subject that I don't mind bringing back to life.  I am fairly new when it comes to Scottish Whisky however I have had the pleasure of enjoying a few different types.  The age old quest for finding the "best Scotch" has probably been pursued by many, and I think what's best is only to be determined by the individual.  Of the few types I have tried one of my personal favorites is Oban.  If your familiar with a flavor chart, Oban is nicely situated almost center, it has a nice balance and very easy to enjoy.  On the extreme side I have tried Lagavulin which is a very nice Scotch as well, however it is very peaty, so if you dont like a smokey Scotch, you may not enjoy it.  For a cheaper Scotch that easily found, I don't mind Glenlevit, it also has a nice balance and goes down quite easy.  I prefer a single malt Scotch to blended, however if you like blended there's nothing wrong with that either.

My next adventure on my quest for the perfect Scotch will be one of these two, Belvinie DoubleWood 17, it is aged in an oak cask and finished in a sherry cask.  The second one, Bunnahabhain,was recommended by a fellow Scotsman who I trust to be a good judge of a nice dram of whisky.

I hope to hear from some of you and hear some of your experiances with all the different types of Scotch Whisky.
I have done so much with so little for so long, I can now do almost anything with nothing!

Barbara

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 08:16:11 PM »
Hi Marlin, I don't have much experience with Scotch, whiskey gives me a headache....bummer, but maybe some one else in the Clan can compare fine drinks with you.   :D

Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
"Best Scotch" is an entirely relative thing:

For instance- on this particular day at the Rocky Mountain Scottish Festival in Highlands Ranch, CO, I was partial to Glen Morangie
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:14:42 PM by Parker Thomson »
DENY US NOT

Thomas Thompson

• Deny Us Not!
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
Parker

That's not fair.  Your picture seems to say that you were able to attract those beautiful lasses thru your charm and good looks.

I am sure that if we knew the whole story the truth might be a bit different.

Tom