Author Topic: Descendants of John William Thomson/William John Thomson  (Read 42157 times)

David Thompson

Descendants of John William Thomson/William John Thomson
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »
John William Thomson/William John Thomson was born in Dumbarton Scotland in the year of 1375. He owned land in Dumbarton and was the Collector of Customs in 1410 as per his accounts rendered at Perth, on July in the year 1410. William's wife is unknown at this time. He left his land to Johannes Van Kirk Thomson, (his son) who was born in Dumbarton Scotland in the year of 1400. In 1429 Johannes became a Bailiff and was so until 1431. After serving as Bailiff he became Commissioner in 1435. Johannes or John as per the records show owned land in Ayrshire as the deed showed in 1456. Then he became the Sergeant of the Marsh in 1468. The Thomson Clan as for as I can tell fell after the death of Johannes on 18 Oct 1486 in Newton Grange, Scotland. The Clan was strong and more powerful in numbers than Clan MacTavish at this time, but had strong ties with Clan Campbell. Johannes's wife was Christina who was born in 1449 in the Highlands of Scotland, and died in Newton Grange, Scotland date is unknown.

I will post more soon.

David Thompson

Re: Descendants of John William Thomson/William John Thomson
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:51:34 PM »
John Thomson was the first son of Johannes Van Kirk Thomson born in the year 1469 in Scotland. He had 3 other brothers Robert, William, and Thomas. John's wife is Catherine Afamsone born in 1469; He then had a second wife Elisabeth Gourlaw, who was still living in 1494. John was a land owner and leased land off Conflattes, Baroney of Glasgow on 20 Dec 1515. John died in Drumny or Fingeralle, Scotland.

I am putting all this information out here so that it can be of some help to others trying to locate their family line, and if anyone has more information on the members of my line.

David Thompson

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:20:12 AM »
William Thomson was the son of John Thomson and born circa 1491 in the Highlands of Scotland. His wife is unknown. Where he died is unknown, but it was some where in Scotland. He had a son named Archibald Thomson, who was born in the Highlands of Scotland in 1524. His wife is unknown, but did have a son John Thomson. He was born in Scotland in 1559, and his death is unknown but in Scotland. He did have a wife, but could not find a name.

Rees Thomson is the son of Archibald Thomson, and was born in Scotland circa 1590. His death is unknown, and he had a wife that is also unknown. Rees did have a son named John Thomson born in Scotland in the year 1622. His wife is unknown, but had a son named Archibald Thomson born in Scotland in the year 1656. His wife is unknown.

William Thompson is the son of Archibald Thomson and was born in the County Down, in Ireland in the year 1698. He was a Community Leader, and Farmer. His wife was Sarah Evans Born in the Highlands of Scotland in the year 1698. Both William and Sarah died in the County of Spotsylvania in the Commonwealth of Virginia, USA. They had a son William J. Thompson.

Moira

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:41:51 AM »
Hi David -

How great you can trace your family back so far! I would give anything.............  :(

Hopefully, some others will post their Scottish links now.....we're still researching ours, but when we find that elusive link back to Scotland we will post it!

Moira

David Thompson

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:27:44 AM »
I just got lucky. I could trace back to Ireland for the longest time, but that was it. Then from someone else doing their line I found my link.

David Thompson

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »
William J. Thompson was born in the County Down in Ireland in the year 1722. He became a Land Baron in Tazwell County Virginia in what is now called Thompson Valley. Commissioner of Peace 1790 and Sheriff 1797. His first Wife was Jane Buchanan born in the County Down in Ireland 1732 and died 1764 in Thompson Valley. His second wife was Lydia Graham born in Augusta County, Virginia 1743 and died Thompson Valley 12 October 1830. She was the daughter of William Graham and his wife Jean 'Jane' Mays. William J. Thompson had a son Named Andrew Thompson born in the County Down, Ireland in 1750. He was an Ensign, 1st New Jersey, Continental Army on 03 April 1777, taken prisoner at Brandy Creek in Pennsylvania 11 September 1777; Exchanged 17 December 1780 from Long Island, New York retired with rank of Lieutenant on 01 January 1781, and became a Gentleman Farmer. His wife Ann 'Nancy' was born in England in 1750; They were married in Wythe County, Virginia in 1775 and she died in the County of Bland, Virginia 1840.

Cathy McTavish

• Core
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
Your family stories are great David.  You know last night, I first had time to put the information you sent me in our data base.  I think I should rename the database, as it is really a Thompson, rather than Clan MacTavish database.  I will update the file and post it to rootsweb and ancestry.com tonight. 

What really makes genealogy and family history fascinating is when you can learn something about your ancestors.  Just names and dates is rather boring information.  When you can determine where they lived, what they did, they become alive once again!

I knew next to nothing about Canadian history until I learn of my deep Canadian roots, then I started reading, became an Amazon best customer yet again, and learning about Canadian history..........the same with Scottish history, about all I knew 15 years ago, was that the Scots didn't much like the English, they wore Kilts, had a monster and were cool.................What I have learned is fascinating and I am a nature story tellers, so my grandkids are totally enraptured by my tales............which are a bit embelished I admit! 

Graham, I had ancestors in Canada by 1610.  The first 20 or so families...........we intermarried an awful lot back then!!  That was 10 years before the Mayflower...........................history is so fascinating!

Cathy

David Thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
I am glad to see you are still among us Cathy. I have missed the fun we had last summer. It is great to finally be able to find my roots back to Scotland.

Graham Thompson

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
Does anyone know is the name Graham is a Scottish or Irish name, or is it just a name pulled out of the mud?
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

David Thompson

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 05:38:40 PM »
Hey Graham,

Their are a few Grahams in my family. They came from England and Ireland. I don't know about Scotland. Hope this helps.

Scotsmor

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
GRAHAM 

Usage: Scottish, English

Pronounced: GRAY-um, GRAM   [key]

From a Scottish surname which was originally derived from an English place name which probably meant "gravelly homestead" in Old English. The surname was first taken to Scotland in the 12th century. A famous bearer is Alexander Graham Bell, the Scottish-Canadian-American inventor who devised the telephone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Booner

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
Here's some more for ya Graham,

This is Graham as a last name; another Border Reiver family.

from "Steel Bonnets" by George Fraser

The surname of Graham ( Graeme)
"Mostly English ( as far as Border history goes), but notoriously ready to be on either side. Originally Scotish, and famous outside the Border area."
"Apart from the Armstrongs, the Grahams were probably the most troublesome family on the frontier.  Their dual allegiances caused sonfusion, and they were cordially detested by their own English Authorities.  At one time the most numorous family in the West Border, with 500 riders in 13 towers in 1552, they were savegely persecuted in the reign of James VI and I."

Graham Thompson

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 01:52:46 PM »
Sweet so name is something good. Thanks everyone
Guess what!? I'm here to spread my words of wisdom also. Everybody fear them!!! Hahaha

David Thompson

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »
To Continue on with the next in line is Amos Thompson who is the son of Andrew Thompson. Amos Thompson was a Farmer and his wife Mary Bruce was married in the County of Wythe in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 1811. Mary was born in the County of Albermarle, Virginia on 05 December 1787 and died in the County of Wythe in 1870. She was the daughter of William Bruce and wife Annie Ballard.  Amos Thompson was born in the County of Montgomery, Virginia in 1786 and died in the County of Bland, Virginia on 18 April 1870. Amos Thompson had a son named Andrew Garland Thompson.

Andrew Garland Thompson was born in the County of Wythe, Virginia in 1827 and died in Bland County, Virginia in 1870. Andrew was a Sergeant in Company G 36th Virginia Regiment and Farmer. His wife was Sarah M. Hicks born in the County of Bland, Virginia in 1830 and died in Wythe County, Virginia in 1851. she was the daughter of Josiah Hicks. Andrew and Sarah were married in Wythe County, Virginia in 1845 and they had a son named Russell Sanders Thompson.

David Thompson

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 10:09:09 AM »
Russell Sanders Thompson was the son of Andrew Garland Thompson, and was born in the Town of Bland in Bland County, Virginia on 27 February 1856 and died at White Gate in Giles County, Virginia on 23 August 1885. Russell was married to Bettie Stinson on 09 March 1882 in Giles County, Virginia. Bettie was born in White Gate in Giles County, Virginia on 03October 1856 and died at White Gate on 06 January 1946. She was the daughter of John Stinson and his wife Elizabeth Stinson. Russell had a son Andrew John Thompson.

Andrew John Thompson was born at White Gate in Giles County, Virginia on 11 December 1882 and died at White Gate on 15 April 1972. Andrew was a Businessman and Farmer. He married Minnie Nora May Morehead in the Town of Bland in Bland County, Virginia on 06 November 1912. Minnie was born in the Town of Bland on 10 May 1890 and died at White Gate on 31 August 1965. They had a son Andrew Lacy Thompson.