Way back in November 2005, while much underhanded deception was underway among Steven and his "bought" accomplices, Patrick Thompson, Lieutenant to the 26th Chief and Historian to the 27th Chief, sent me a DVD of un-copyrighted data - including research submitted to Lyon Court to support Dugald's claim to the chiefship and used in various locations around the web. I simply cannot let this stand unchallenged. Here's just ONE of the documents: (my comments are in blue)
--The Houses of Clan Tavish--
The MacTavishes of Argyllshire, Perthshire, the Borders and elsewhere (HOW-- this was a WEE little clan and you are laying claim to the BORDERS and ELSEWHERE?! Check out the Hearth Tax data of 1694 to see this GREAT AND POWERFUL CLAN individuals and holding.)
Lieutenant to the 26th Chief of Clan MacTavish
Clan Historian to the 27th Chief of Clan MacTavish
The Manuscript History of Craignish, an historical record of the Craignish Campbells, compiled from ancient Campbell records, set to pen ca. 1720, attributes that two great clans stem from Colin Maol Maith, those being the Clan McTavish or Tomsons, and Clan McIver. (Well, the TOMSONS were a great clan, but we AREN'T MacTavish!!!!)
The Chiefly House
-The House of Dunardry"
From the Gaelic: Dun Ard Righ
Meaning: Stone fort of the High King.
Encompassed an area of approximately 5 to 12 square miles, or perhaps a bit less, (according to E. F. Bradford's Mactavish of Dunardry, page 1: Latin Charter 15 May 1669 - Archibald, 9th Earl of Argyll, is giving to his chosen Donaldum MakTavish the lands of Dunardry, Dunans, Bardarroch, Barindaf - a total of 7 1/2 mercatas (approximately equivalent of 1300 acres of which only 240 were areable - the remainder pasture, brushwood or moss.) This is HARDLY 5 - 12 square miles!!!! with 640 acres to a square mile!!!) in Argyllshire, both in North and South Knapdale. Its expanse was from Crinan on the west to Lochgilp on the eas, and just south of Kilmartan on the nor, to just north of Tarbert on the south. (Bradford also marks that the main home of the MacTavishes of Dunardry was 3 1/2 miles from Lochgilphead).
The lands of Dunadry were split in half in 1795-1801 with the building of the Crinan Canal.
Charter as noted in the "Poltalloch Writs" and Manuscript "History of the House of Argyll".
Eventually all the Argyllshire lands of MacTavish were ceded to Dunardry, reverted to the Duke of Argyll, or to the Crown.
The House of Dunardry moved from Dunardry lands (which were sold) in 1785, and Kilchrist Castle at Stewarton, near Campbeltown, Argyll was built and occupied by the family for three generations (built by Dugald and Letitia MacTavish) The Chiefly line relocated to Canada. (They claim with Dugald's son, William - all other accounts say Simon McTavish was Laird of Dunardry (this is stated in the Campbell history, also)
(The 'estate' consisted of a few farm houses - not estates of great size, repute, or anything else! In E.F. Bradford's book, page 42-47: (paraphrased from letters) ...in 1795 the main home of the MacTavishes was in disrepair and the 3 homes of the tenants, which constituted the total inhabitants of Dunardry, were torn down for the construction of the canal and relocated. The canal project paid for the destruction/relocation of the houses with a considerable part of the work done by the tenants themselves So, the 'estate of Dunardry' consisted of the MacTavish home and the homes of 3 tenants.
The "Cadet Houses" are as fictitious as everything else. The small, poor holding was only supporting SIX people in 1694 - THIS IS THE GREAT CLAN?
The 1694 Hearth Tax for Dunardry (arch. spelling) included:
1694 Hearth Tax Knapdale, Scotland
Forename Surname Township # Hrth/Pg # Map location Original Spelling
James Boyd Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal James Boyde
Ane Myln Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal
Patrick Christie Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal Patrick Christie
Callum McCallum Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal Calum McCallum
Donald McTavish Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal Donald McCavish
Ane Kiln Dunardry 1 p41 Dunardarie/ S of Crinan Canal
The Cadet Houses
-The House of Rudle-
Rudalor Rua-duilh in Glasserie-North Knapdale
Meaning: Nether (Lower) Rudle
It encompassed the Dalriadic capital fortress of Dunadd,in Argyllshire, Knapdale, and reverted to the House of Dunardry, at least, by 1533.
Its remnants are seen as Rudle Farm and Rudle burn (stream). This was perhaps the oldest of the houses in Glassary-Knapdale, and was likely the Chiefly house and lands before Dunardry encompassed it.
Chartered as noted in the Manuscript "History of the House of Argyll".
-The House of Scannish-
Possibly Skeodnis as its spelling has been obscurred in time.
The river Add (flowing near Dunadd fortress), is a tributary of the Skeodnish, in Knapdale.
Other sources put this House in Cowall, not Knapdale. If indeed it was located on the Cowall peninsula, it was perhaps the very oldest of lands held by the MacTavish outside of Knapdale-Glassary. These lands then, were perhaps those conquested by Taviss Corr from the ancestors of the Lamonts. No charter in antiquity has been found for Scannish. Gee....no charter found but you can make this claim!
-The House of Leanachs-
(Lennox - A place of elms")
Not to be confused with the Earl of Lennox. Charter as noted in the Manuscript "History of the House of Argyll"
-The House of Achachoish-
(ard achach " high fields)
In the old parish Kilmichel-Glassarie, north of Knapdale. Charter as noted in the Manuscript "History of the House of Argyll"
-The House of Barnakill-
(Barr na cille - summit of the church)
Its remnants known as Barnakill Farm, west of the old Clan Seat at Loch a Bharain.
Charter is indeterminate.
-The House of Ardtalnaig-
The name ofArdtalnaig has changed over the years.
It appears as Ardintollanie (1640), Ardtollony (1564) and Ardentollenie (1536).
Crown Charter (by the King of Scots) To Donald McCawis
Crown Chartered - Extinct by 1488, the MacTavishes moving to Glen Quaich.
-The House of Garthbeg-
the Frazer of Lovat McTavishes (Garthbeg/Stratherrick MacTavishes never lost their identity and were not called Fraser, except for one who fought at Culloden with the Frasers. Based on historical EVIDENCE, we believe that the Garthbeg MacTavish is the line that should hold the clan arms not the Dunardry MacTavish.)
Also called Little Garth
Meaning: Small Warm House
Charter by Lord Lovat
Tradition states that in the 13th or 14th century, a quarrel broke out between two brothers, the sons of the Chief. The dispute was decided by force. The elder brother, and heir, was slain in the fight, and the survivor known as Tavish Mhor, or Big Tavish, was banished from the Clan by his father, the Chief. Accompanied by a small band of followers, they left the ancestral home of Dun-ArdRigh and went northward seeking a home. The main body of the Clan remained at Dun-ArdRigh. Those who followed Tavish Mhor seem to have retained an organized existence parallel with that of Dun-ArdRigh and to have continued its existence for nearly as long a period among the Families of Scotland. These settled on the Fraser Estates. Simon McTavish (later of Garthbeg) a wealthy fur trader from Canada, a descendant of Tavish Mhor, met with Chief Lachlan MacTavish of Dunardry, and they agreed they were kin. Simon desiring to have arms, requested of Lachlan, his distant kinsman and "ancestral Chief", to take out arms at Lyon Court, so as to establish the Ensigns of the Arms of MacTavish of Dunardry, and hence Garthbeg. In making this contact, and requesting Arms through MacTavish of Dunardry, Simon MacTavish of Garthbeg reunited his kinsman with the House of Dunardry. (Simon didn't reunite the families - ALL references except those strewn around the internet by Dugald, Patrick, Patricia, etc. to promote Dugald's claim to the chiefship, clearly state that the Chiefly ARMS were disponed to Simon McTavish of Canada in exchange for him clearing Lachlan's debts and for ensuring the welfare of his children. Because Simon was of the Garthbeg line, he matriculated his arms as Simon MacTavish of Garthbeg. REMEMBER Lachlan was not a clan chief.)
-Thomson on the Borders-
"Thomson of that Ilk"
Having an undetermined descent from the Argyllshire MacTavishes (1). (No reference as to WHERE this research is - and this is PATENTLY RIDICULOUS as will be proven further down.) It must duely considered that a large number of the Border region Thomsons comprise a large part of Clan MacTavish. (BASED ON WHAT- the fact that Dugald needed Thompsons to build a clan because there simply aren't enough MacTavishes? We ALL knew that was why he tried so hard to claim Thompsons/Thomsons - but in truth, his name "MacTavish" is nothing more than a patronymic as a descendant of THOMAS Cambel, Dugald's claimed ancestor (with 3 missing generations!!!)
These Thomsons, then, descendants of the Dunardry MacTavish, (WRONG) attempted to usurp the Arms of MacTavish for their own. (This is TRULY amazing and so creative, Patrick! WHY? Because "Thomson of that Ilk" (whoever he was) had arms noted in the Workman's Manuscript in 1565-66 -230 YEARS BEFORE ANY MacTavish ever registered arms!!! And these arms carry the stag's head.....not a pig, clearly stating there was no relationship between Thomson and MacTavish) It is known that there were Thomsons living in the Borders who were cattle reivers, and these families are likely the grounds for Thomson of that Ilk. (3) Thomsons of that Ilk portrays a Stags Head as its Ensign Armorial. (4) (Yeah, Patrick - it BELONGED to a THOMSON!)
Whether or not there ever were really were "Thomsons of that Ilk" is unconvincing. Workman"s Manuscript (1565-1566), which is held at the Court of the Lord Lyon, has attributed arms to a wholly unknown Thomson (leader) and Lords Lyon have granted arms to numerous Thomson Petitioners based on them. One might then consider that Thomsons form a "community of multiple families", but certainly not a clan, (unrelated families can comprise a "house" or "clan" claiming allegiance to a chief, chieftain or captain - and a "house" is of the same status as "clan." )as Thomson of that Ilk appears to be wholly unknown, totally elusive, and highly probable fictional figure, with no defined identity, specific lands, or historically associated documentation. The Arms of Thomson of that Ilk, are, thus bound to a non-extant lineage. WHAT B.S. Patrick has to try to denigrate and deny the existence of a Thomson head of a clan/house and subsequent Thomson matriculations to create the myth that Clan MacTavish included Thomsons. Thomsons are identified as a CLAN by two separate Acts of the Scottish Parliament in 1587 and 1594 IN THE WEST MARCH, ON THE BORDER. The one Act lists clans of the Highlands, Isles and Borders and there is NO MacTavish (or any spelling variation) in that list of existing clans. There was no clan MacTavish, Macomish or anything else.
Lord Thomson of Fleet, the famous newpaper mogul, descended from the Thomsons on the Duke of Buccluech estates in the Border Region. And this pertains how exactly he wasn't a MacTavish either!?(5)
(1) Researched by the Lord Lyon King of Arms, Sir Thomas Innes of Learney.
(2) Note that MacTavish uses a Bucks Head.
(3) The Clan Tavish, Duke Niall Diarmid Campbell
(4) Workmans Manuscript
(5) Burke"s Peerage and Barontage
Certainly after Culloden, MacTavish-Thom(p)son families expanded over the Globe, and many have lost their ancestral heritage. (Well, the THOM(P)SONS expanded over the Globe and continued to grow.....the half-dozen or so MacTavish, obviously, did not.)