Author Topic: The Eight Armigers  (Read 16071 times)

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
The Eight Armigers
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:35 PM »
Does anyone know what these "Eight Armigers" are and are they represented in the list of Armigers on this Clan Thom(p)son website?

"The commonest versions of the name are Thomson and Thompson, and arms for eight of them were matriculated in the early years of the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland, which opened in 1672. The coats show a consistent Thomson theme – argent, a stag’s head cabossed either gules or proper, and on a chief either azure or gules various small charges – which was maintained in fifty one out of another fifty three matriculations down to 1973. The Thomsons, larger than many names in the number of their matriculation, therefore demonstrably comprise a clan, deficient only in never having had a chiefly line recognised by the Lord Lyon."  (From History-> Thomson, Thoms, MacThomas by John Hamilton Gaylor)
DENY US NOT

Michael Thompson

• Unitas et Probitas
    • Thompson Family Web Site
Re: The Eight Armigers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
I can't comment knowledgeably on the armigers Parker, but context would be helpful. What web site is this from? You don't give a url.
The Reivers Ride Again!

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
It's from the Clan Thom(p)son website. Forum discussion topic - History-> Thomson, Thoms, MacThomas by John Hamilton Gaylor
DENY US NOT

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
DENY US NOT

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
I replied yesterday under your other posting of the question under "the Thomson name."

Mary

Forum_mgr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
Mary,

I hope Parker has found and replied to your information. Send me a PM and let me know where you found the names.

Thanks,

F.M.

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
Saw mary's post.  Thanks.
DENY US NOT

Parker Thomson

• Denego Nos Non!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:08:22 AM »
Mary's post from :"Origins"/ "The Thomson Name":

Not all of the entries in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland are dated. I am assuming those that are not are the ones prior to 1672 and were added en-masse.  Here are at least SOME of them:

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., on a chief wavy gu. a crescent between two mullets of the field. THOMSON OF FAIRLIEHOPE

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., attired with ten tynes gu., in chief three cross crosslets fitchee sa.  JAMES THOMSON, Clerk of Exchequer

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., on a chief wavy gu. a lozenge between two mullets of the first. ANDREW THOMSON, advocate, Aberdeen.

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., attired gu., on a chief az. a cross crosslet between two crescents of the first. ROBERT THOMPSON, woollen draper, London

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., on a chief invected gu. a mullet between two crescents of the first. DAVID THOMSON, portioneer of Kettle.

Arg. a stag's head cabossed ppr., on a chief engrailed gu. a mullet between two crescents of the first. JAMES THOMSON, merchant, Kirkcaldy

Parted per pale arg. and gu. a stag's head cabossed and attired with ten tynes counter-changed, on a chief az. a cross crosslet fitchee or between a spur-revel and a crescent of the first. THOMSON OF FAUCHFIELD

Parted per pale arg. and gu. a stag's head cabossed and attired with ten tynes counter-changed, on a chief az. a cross crosslet fitchee or between two spur revels of the first. THOMSON OF MAINS
DENY US NOT