Author Topic: Games and Activities 2014  (Read 13356 times)

Paula Cash Womack

Games and Activities 2014
« on: February 18, 2014, 07:41:54 AM »
I'm planning my vacations / weekends off for the game season.  What games, especially in the south, are Clan Thompson going to be represented?  We had a great time at the ones we were able to attend last year.

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
Re: Games and Activities 2014
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
Where in the south Paula? I'd be glad to look and see what's going on for you!

-Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
Hi Paula -

We are doing Loch Norman, NC April 12-13.....we usually have a nice turnout for those games.

Maryville, TN (we hope for MUCH better weather this year!)  May 17-18.

Our AGM is being planned for the Richmond, VA games Oct 25-26. Ern and Cheryl are coming in from Australia the week before to spend some time in Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown but won't be able to stay for the games. It should be a beautiful time of year to visit Virginia (hint!).

Duke may be doing the Southeast Florida games March 1-3 but I haven't been able to confirm it.

We are not doing the Glasgow games - they've gone downhill to much to worry with. It's a shame, they used to be an excellent and large affair.

We're looking for some additional spring games here in the south that are within driving distance. Will let you know or post them in the NEWS section at the top of the page.

Mary

• Administrator
Don't forget the LOCH NORMAN HIGHLAND GAMES April 12 and 13!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
I know there are going to be a goodly number of Thoms at the Loch Norman games, but there can never be TOO many!  Join your clansmen at one of the nicest events in the mid-south - it's large, in a great location (just north of Charlotte, NC) with lots of motels and camping. Wear your clan shirt and crest.........we'll 'hang the banner' for you!

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »
I want to hear all about the Loch Norman Games, Mary.  Wish we could have gone to them. 

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Sis Thompson's oldest

• Sis Thompson at 16...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Never fear there is more to come!

Got to upload my pictures and get to typing. Spoiler alert......Robert bought his first kilt and looks darn good in it too. Yeah I think I'll start with that.

Stay tuned.  ;)
The bad news? There is no key to the universe. The good news? It was never locked.

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 05:30:02 PM »
Can't wait for the pictures and report on Loch Norman!  :D

In Clanship
Barbara
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

Mary

• Administrator
Loch Norman
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
Sorry I'm late, but I've been sick ever since we got home!

Wow..........Loch Norman can really pack 'em in!  They had their usual great crowd, perfect weather (upper 70s, nice breeze, bright and sunny) and lots of clans. We were missing Harold and Patsy Bennett this year - Harold thought the drive was too far, but thoroughly enjoyed spending the weekend with his daughter, Sharon Hall, along with our daughter and grandsons from VA, Billy and Sherry Thompson, and Sherry and Robert Anderson. Spent almost all of our time talking to Thoms and others visiting the tent, wanting to know more about our Reiver poster if they spotted their family name on it, helping them find their clan.....etc.  Norman stuff, but always enjoyable and we hadn't gotten to spend much time with our immediate family lately, so that was a plus :)

The big news of the weekend is that Robert bought a camel Thompson kilt! I got a picture of him and it looks great!

The bad part it I ended up with a really bad cold....which Tom then got....and our daughter and grandsons got...... so, the weekend were great but the aftermath not so much :-\  I still wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Ernestt481

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
Great photos Mary .Sorry about the cold

Barbara

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 01:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the photos Mary.  I'm so sorry you both got sick.

Barb

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
Sent out my registrations for the first two New England area games yesterday. Clan Thompson will be represented at the Rhode Island Scottish Festival on Saturday June 14, 2014 at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Richmond, RI and at the Glasgow Lands Scottish Festival on Saturday July 19, 2014 at Look Park in Northampton, MA hope to see some of you there.

The websites for these games are:
Rhode Island: http:www.riscot.com
Glasgow Lands: http:www.glasgowlands.org
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
Wow! I really wish Paul & I could come. I bet it's beautiful there in the summer! Maybe next year we will come. Love to come hang out with ya :)
Look forward to hearing about it!

- Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
Great pictures Mary! I'm sorry I didn't write on here sooner, I guess I thought I did! LOL
You guys look great! Happy! Having fun :)

We did the Sacramento Games the weekend before last and I forgot to write on here about it! DUH.   We only went one day. Supposed to be two. We had just got back from Scotland the day before we were supposed to leave and it was pouring down rain here and at the campsite. Sooo we went to get a trailer anyway (to take all of our stuff, Paul hasn't fixed ours yet) and they were out of them. So we finally got a trailer Saturday around 3, went to Sacramento, set up our camping tent and then went and sat up our Clan tent for games on Sunday. We had a blast as usual!  :) I just love all the other clans....everyone is so nice.  I think I only took 3 pictures though. We didn't really leave our tent to get out much.
ANYWAY.....  ;)
I'll post about it sometime this week. Plus we have our upcoming Modesto Highland Games June 7th. Tell Tom Hi! for us. Talk soon :)

-Cheryll