Author Topic: 36th Annual Maine Highland Games  (Read 14031 times)

Stirling Thompson

36th Annual Maine Highland Games
« on: July 28, 2014, 11:43:24 AM »
Clan Thompson will be represented and have a tent at the 36th Annual Maine Highland Games hosted by the St. Andrews Society of Maine on Saturday August 16, 2014 at the Topsham Fairgrounds located in Topsham, Maine. It has been a couple of years since I've done these games but this year it makes sense to do them as I will be in the area anyway because we will be doing an internment for my brother Ray the Friday before up in Union, Maine and I'll be visiting my daughter Jennifer and her family in Waldoboro, Maine during the week. My nephews, Michael and Joseph, will be there and hopefully a couple of the grandkids also. Hopefully, Tom's brother Chuck and his wife will stop in as well. I promise to take pictures!
Stu
Semper Fidelis! Semper Familia!
Stu

Stirling Thompson

Re: 36th Annual Maine Highland Games
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 05:35:34 AM »
We had a beautiful day for the games on Saturday! I was joined by my nephews, Michael and Joseph and Ray's granddaughter Misty, and my grandsons Ben and Jacob. I did not see Tom's brother Chuck so I assume he didn't go. I'm still in Maine and won't be returning home till Wednesday then I'll attempt a quick turn-around and try to make the Quechee, VT games on the 23rd. A fuller report on the Maine games with pictures won't take place until I get home from Quechee and I'll do a separate report for those games.
Stu
Stu

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
Sounds like you had a great day Stu! That's what we love about doing the games too. GOOD people, Good Conversations, Meeting all the people that get so excited when they see Clan Thompson and wanting to know our/their story.  oh and good whisky haha !  We've really enjoyed this past year. I love hearing what a good time you have :)
Have fun at the next!
We're looking forward to our next in Pleasanton, CA.

Cheers!
Cheryll
The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

Mary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:56 AM »
Like Cheryll said, sounds like you had lots of help (thank goodness!)  and we'll look forward to some pics and info for the next newsletter ;)  Tom's brother, Chuck, sold his home and has moved closer to Boston. The Maine games used to be 'in his back yard' and I think it's quite a bit further away now.......... What did Michael, Joseph and Misty think of the games?  Any prospective members there ? (Well, you know I have to ask!!!  ;D

Tom and I have been talking about trying to get up there next year and "do" a games with you and Dot. We'll have to see how the $$$ holds out...... Any hope that you guys might make it to the AGM in Virginia this year? I know it's a hike, but we'd love to see you there...

We're cheering you on from afar at least this year!

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
The day was beautiful with a mix of sun and clouds and temps in the 70's. Misty and the boys didn't spend a whole lot of time at the tent but that was OK since it was Misty's first games. So I gave her my camera and told her to take pictures of whatever caught her fancy. She seemed to like the Scottish country dancers and the vendor tents the most.

Anyway, I got to chat with lots of nice folks including some Thomsons and a number of Thoms currently involved with Clan MacTavish. I did my best to straighten them out factually and I actually had a nice chat with Jay Mason who was manning the MacT tent. A lot of people seemed to be quite interested in how the whole mixup is progressing and seemed pleased that we now have arms from the Lyon Court.

Here's a few pics to whet your appetitie and a link to the album on Photobucket.

Some period visitors.

A couple of Thomsons!

An old soldier and the missus.

You can see the rest here...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/StuT/library/Maine%20Games%202014

Enjoy!
Stu
Stu

Donna

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
Wonderful photos, Stu, please thank Misty for taking them!   
I look forward to seeing more!

Donna
ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD DAY !

cheryllwith2ls

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
Great pictures!!  Thanks :)   I need to utilize photo bucket! Great idea :)
Your tent looks great!

-Cheryll

The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or even heard. They must be felt with the heart. - Helen Keller

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks STU it was like being there almost LOL very nice to see the pictures, thank you again.

Barbara

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
Great photos and write up Stu, thanks.   :D

Barb
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:56:02 AM »
STU you mentioned the QueChee Scottish Festival Aug 23, 2014 in Vermont

Well I am going to try and keep this festival in mind for next year I estimated the date would be Aug 22, 2015. This festival would be I believe about a 2 hour car ride from where I live and so i will try to keep it in mind for next year festivals.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
Michael, you're an hour closer to Quechee than I am! Two hours is a pretty easy ride unless you get a hassle at the border crossing. I would love to see you next year in Quechee, eh!
Stu

MICHAEL the Canadian

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
Stu we will try to make it a DATE. It is only a 1 day event or is it 2 days, If 2 days I would look into the possibility of staying over night at motel or hotel what ever but right now it is to try to go next year is the aim. More details when we get closer. So your from Mass I have relatives on my mother's side in Worcester, about 45 minutes ride west of Boston is I remember I was there once many years ago.

Stirling Thompson

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:29:25 AM »
Michael, Quechee is a one day event. I live about 30 minutes south of Worcester practically next door.
Stu