Author Topic: An uncle in the civil war  (Read 8479 times)

Thomas B. Thompson

An uncle in the civil war
« on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
I believe that I have traced an uncle born in 1739 from Charles County, Maryland.
He was in the cavalry and rode with General Johnston's confederate army.
After General Johnston's surrender ( with the war ended ) my uncle turned himself in
to the Union forces on May 1, 1865 and was paroled.
Honestly not 100% sure, but names, dates and places add up to about 98%.
At least something to explore less blindly.

Yahoo!!!!

Best wishes to all.

Tom

Mary

• Administrator
Re: An uncle in the civil war
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
Gosh, Tom!

If you are at "98%" confident, I'll bet you're right!  We're still stuck on Francis, but one of these days..........

I know you have worked hard on your genealogy - it's great to see you having some luck!

Thomas B. Thompson

Re: An uncle in the civil war
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »
Thanks !
I had been in touch with an elderly Thompson ( NO NOT YOUR TOM )  :) who lived in Miracle, Kentucky. We haven't  written
to each other since late last year and I was planning to visit her this summer but I found out that she past away a couple of months ago. A 4th cousin who informed me of this said that her husband and son would probably talk to me, so I'll be contacting them soon.
I also found out that my great-grandfather from Scotland set sail to America from a port town of Leith, just north of Edinburgh.
haven't found the ship's name yet. I think it might have been a private ship he and a group of other Covenanters came over on as everyone was sponsored by Col. Bealle. His name was not on any manifest of any ship that left Leith in 1685. But then that was only what the initial research showed  ------ONWARD AND FORWARD !

Best Wishes

Tom & Barbara